Are ebooks as "valuable" as print? I think they are a truly new thing, which will not replace print, but supplement print. Radio didn't go away when television arrived.
I can't read and drive. Audiobooks are great for boring major highway driving. But for pleasure listening only. I wouldn't want to listen to a difficult-to-absorb topic. With reading I can change my pace and pause. Too hard to do that when listening if I'm doing anything.
ebooks are great for reference, quick lookup.
ebooks for textbooks are a great idea. Save trees.
But for pleasure reading? I haven't tried any ebook players because of cost. I wouldn't want to read on a computer screen, as I do too much of that for work. If the players get cheap, I might try them, but then there is the availability of what I want to read. I don't read best sellers for the most part. Academic libraries are probably not in the business of providing best sellers either in this financial climate.
The British Library site was just fantastic. But that's on the order of visiting a museum, not reading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment